Monday, October 7, 2013

Holding a (or several) Steady Job(s) While Reaching for Your Goal

I have found it necessary to work several part-time jobs while working towards my goal of working full- time as a freelance writer. To assist my nerves and spirit in this seemingly endless journey I have always kept long, medium, and short term goals. I keep them written down and mark them off as I achieve them. It gives me a sense of accomplishment to look back upon on them when I feel a bit discouraged. It reminds me that I am already successful!

At times working my plethora of jobs seems somewhat futile. It is at times like these I turn to my goal journal and look a random day. I am always surprised so read of a long ago achieved milestone.

I also keep a gratitude journal. I write in at least once a week, especially on really challenging days. I do this for two reasons. (1) As I write I begin to remember all I have in my life (2) Whatever the challenge is that I'm facing never seems as daunting after I've written it down.

So I may not have a published novel under my belt yet. But today I did apply for 10 writing assignments, wrote 1,000 words for my new story, read http://www.deadline.com/hollywood , re-read my script in- progress, and remembered to smile because today is a Beautiful Day!!

Take Care and the Best of Luck to You!!

Alex

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to you Alexandra! Keep at it and you'll get to your goa - if one door closes, another one opens.
    I keep a gratitude journal and/or I do a gratitude minI album with photos & writing. I wish you still lived in OH... We gravitate toward similar interests.
    Good luck,
    Irma

    ReplyDelete